I got a lot of information on the original versions from the excellent site Second Hand Songs.
Album Song Track Original artist
Big Pink Long Black Veil Lefty Frizzell
Rock of Ages Don’t Do It Side 1, track 1 Marvin Gaye
Rock of Ages Hang Up My Rock and Roll Shoes Side 4, Track 3 Chuck Willis
Moondog Matinee Ain’t Got No Home Side 1, track 1 Clarence “Frogman” Henry
Moondog Matinee Holy Cow Side 1, track 2 Lee Dorsey
Moondog Matinee Share Your Love Side 1, track 3 Bobby Bland
Moondog Matinee Mystery Train Side 1, track 4 Junior Parker
Moondog Matinee Third Man Theme Side 1, track 5 Anton Karas
Moondog Matinee Promised Land Side 2, track 1 Chuck Berry
Moondog Matinee The Great Pretender Side 2, track 2 The Platters
Moondog Matinee I’m Ready Side 2, track 3 Fats Domino
Moondog Matinee Saved Side 2, track 4 LaVern Baker
Moondog Matinee A Change is Gonna Come Side 2, track 5 Sam Cooke
Islands Ain’t That a Lot of Love Sam & Dave
Islands Georgia on My Mind Hoagy Carmichael
The Basement Tapes Ain’t No More Cane Side 3, track 3 Ernest Williams, James “Iron Head” Baker and Convict Group
Festival Express film Slippin’ and Slidin’ Little Richard
The Last Waltz Who Do You Love? Bo Diddley
The Last Waltz Further on Up the Road Bobby Bland
The Last Waltz Down South in New Orleans Johnny and Jack
The Last Waltz Tura Lura Lural Chauncey Olcott
The Last Waltz Baby Let Me Follow You Down Rev. Gary Davis
You should be able to find most of the original versions on YouTube
• Mystery Train has additional music and lyrics by Robertson. The most famous cover of Mystery Train is by Elvis Presley, recorded for Sun Records in Memphis which also released the original version.
• Moondog Matinee was released in late 1973 but the Band didn’t play any of it when I saw them In January 1974 with Bob Dylan. They did play Long Black Veil. They played Share Your Love when I saw them in August 1973.
• The film The Third Man (1949) is shown on TCM sometime and is a great movie. The original version of the theme was performed on a zither.
• Holy Cow was originally written and produced by Allen Toussaint who arranged the horns on Life Is a Carnival and the Rock of Ages album.
• I only included songs from The Last Waltz if the artist performing them was not the original artist
• Big Pink included songs recorded with Bob Dylan as part of the Basement Tapes but the original versions were not released until way after Big Pink. The songs are Tears of Rage, This Wheel’s on Fire, and I Shall Be Released. The first two were co-written by Dylan and Band members.
• Dylan wrote Long Distance Operator which is on The Basement Tapes. I don’t think he ever released a version of it.
• The expanded version of Rock of Ages included a cover of Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever by the Four Tops.
• Georgia on My Mind is best known by the Ray Charles version.