Would Trump have won in 2016 if we knew then what we know now? We’ll never know but I don’t think so. I don’t think any one of these items would have cost him the election but cumulatively, they would have hurt him. The one with the least impact was the payouts to the two women. If Trump voters were ok with the Access Hollywood tape, this would not have changed their vote.
Here’s a list:
- Payouts to two women over alleged affairs
- Lies about campaign’s many contacts with Russians
- Dishonest about how much money he got from his family
- Turned down for loan by Deutsche Bank
- Efforts to build hotel in Moscow
- Corrupt Trump Foundation
It turns out that Trump, Jr.’s calls to a blocked number were to family friends and not to Trump. That still leaves lots of questions:
- Did Trump know about the meeting? He says he didn’t but he lies all the time. If he got the calls, this would have proven he knew but it still doesn’t put him in the clear.
- Why did they lie about the meeting? Trump prepared a false statement saying it was about adoptions.
- If the calls were to business associates, why didn’t Trump, Jr. just provide that information?
and they lied about the contacts over and over, even under oath. Why?
We have to get to the bottom of the connections between the NRA, Russia, and Republican campaigns including Trump’s in 2016.